Tuesday 24 February 2009

Meals on wheels

We recently had a leaflet through our door about a meal delivery service, Yoshikei. Not quite like ordering a take-away, the company offers a selection of 5 different menus on a daily basis, and delivers the ingredients at lunchtime in time for you to prepare the evening meal! Actually, my SIL has been using it for years and I was very interested, so with a trial offer too good to refuse K wanted to give it a go.

I received the first box yesterday. K had chosen pork stir-fried with garlic and miso, served with simmered dish of hijiki (a kind of seaweed) and daikon and a fusili pasta salad:



The box contained pretty much everything I needed (fresh meat and vegetables in just the right amounts!), and I was provided with the recipes to follow. Aha, this could involve a bit of trial and error - I'm not sure of all the kanji, but I can guess most of it. It was simple enough to throw together, the portions were very generous (we ordered enough for 2, which was enough for K and the boys, veggie dishes for me and some left over for breakfast the next day), there was no wasteage, and I hadn't had to go shopping - fantastic!

Today's meal was grilled fish (don't ask me what kind, but it was red!) served with a chicken and chinese cabbage stirfry and boiled and marinaded gobo (burdock root) tossed in ground sesame:



I'm very impressed with the whole set-up. You can pick and choose from the various menus, order as little or as often as you like, and they even provide a lockable coolbox to leave outside so that they can deliver without bothering you! And it's not that expensive, either - on average, for the option we chose, the cost is around 1,000 yen (about £6.50), although we are enjoying a special rate of 700 yen a day for this week. Although I wouldn't want to use this service every day, I think that this might be a good way for me to learn to cook with some of the local ingredients I tend to avoid as I have no idea what to do with them!

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend with a newborn and a toddler who loves this service. She said the same thing- it helped her learn to cook local. I'd hate to see all your yummy food posts go, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this concept and idea, esp for a full balanced meal!!!!! I like it!!! I wonder if we can try it for a few days a week on the days I am home. So glad you posted this A!

    ReplyDelete