Tuesday 26 January 2010

Lightly poached

Evening all! Apologies if this post is full of typos, but I can barely keep my eyes open... the after-effects of a long and busy weekend. The boys had school on Sunday (happyokai (performance) in the morning, followed by lessons until the usual time) with a day off in lieu yesterday. K decided to have the afternoon off work so that we could take the children swimming. There's a funky pool (complete with an onsen) not too far away, and K was very keen to try out their climbing wall (yeah, it's meant for kids, but there ain't a bigger kid that K):



I chose to soak in the various baths instead, the first time for me to venture into one of these since... certainly before having the children... I was very thankful to have my friend Laura with me, I would never have gone in on my own! We chatted away for ages, poaching in the hot jacuzzi, and I came out feeling the warmest I've felt in months. Now why didn't I do this sooner?! Can't wait to check out the radon hot spring in our town next :-D And we rounded off the day by stopping off for sushi on the way home, 'twas bargain day at only 88 yen a plate!



On the food front, made some tofu burgers the other day that got wolfed down in seconds by all three kids (including M, and she's turning into the picky one of late)! None of them even noticed that there were veggies hidden in them.

Tofu burgers

1 pack tofu, very well drained*
300g minced beef/pork
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 green peppers (Japanese peppers are very small, so just use one if they are large where you are), finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg
2/3 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons milk or water
seasoning

* The easiest and quickest way to drain tofu is to cut it into quarters, place it a couple of layers of kitchen towel on a plate, then microwave it at 500 watts for about 2 and a half minutes

Sauce

4 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons cooking sake
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons mirin

Mix together the sauce ingredients, turn off the heat and pour straight over the cooked burgers.

I served these Rocomoco-style, over rice, shredded salad and cherry tomatoes, and topped with a drizzle of Kewpie mayonnaise, a sprinkling of sesame, and a fried egg.

4 comments:

  1. Hehe when it's cold all I can think about is keeping warm! I wish I Had tried an onsen when I was there, they sound amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in New Zealand we went to a great climbing wall complex - but the one over the water is a great idea! The tofu burgers also look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to an Onsen.. but then again I don't like bathing in a Cuzi either with others... I'm so afraid they don't change the filters often enough... (back experience once).

    I love tofu burgers... my husband used to make some with oatmeal flakes.. I made the mistake once of using soft tofu.. let's just say.. it became soup... tofu soup.

    BUT Kewpie.... that is a splurge I have on my diet.. if I have to add some fat.. it had to be Kewpie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorraine,

    Come back and try one! I must admit, the first time I ever went to one (16 years ago), I needed a couple of glasses of wine inside me before I could even contemplate taking the plunge! xxx

    Hi Jo,

    I bet climbing is popular in NZ... I'd never seen a wall in a pool like this before. The company K works for installed it! xxx

    Hi April,

    I must try making burgers with oatmeal, that's a great tip! I agree Kewpie is worth the calories - once you've tried Kewpie there can be no substitute! xxx

    ReplyDelete